ARCO COMPLETES TEMPERATURE-CONTROLLED DISTRIBUTION FACILITY FOR THE ATKINS GROUP, RYDER, & BAYER CROP SCIENCE
ARCO recently completed a 635,000 SF distribution facility in Decatur, Illinois, for developer The Atkins Group, third-party logistics provider Ryder, and tenant Bayer Crop Science. The facility features a 529,997 SF warehouse, 100,000 SF 50°F cooler, and 5,443 SF office, as well as multiple tenant operations spaces including areas for processing, stretch wrapping, relabeling, and seed sampling. The project also includes high hazard (H3) storage space and an exterior bin wash canopy, bean dump, and seedpak washing area.
Throughout construction, the ARCO team faced several weather-related challenges such as record-setting rainfall, frost, and snow. However, despite more than 100 weather days, the project was completed within 12 days of the initial schedule. To avoid significant delays, ARCO implemented proactive solutions such as fully stabilizing the building pad with soil cement to make the subgrade more resistant to rain and utilizing concrete blankets and heaters to mitigate negative effects from frost.
ARCO also implemented a center coring approach (pictured right) in which the center portion of the steel structure is in place prior to tilt-wall erection. While it required additional coordination, access logistics, and safety measures, it allowed for acceleration of the building dry-in and overall project schedule.
Additional project details include tilt-up construction with a conventional steel structure, 41 dock positions, 36′ clear height, and a 45-mil mechanically attached TPO roof system with R-25 and R-32 insulation.
- 635,440 SF Distribution Facility
- 529,997 SF Warehouse
- 100,000 SF 50°F Cooler
- 5,443 SF Office
- Tilt-Up Construction with Conventional Steel Structure
- 45-Mil Mechanically Attached TPO Roof System with R-25 & R-32 Insulation
- 36’ Clear Height
- 41 Dock Positions
- Two (2) Drive-In Ramps
- 3,000 Amp Electrical Service
- LED High Bay Lighting
- ESFR Sprinkler System with Diesel Fire Pump
- Storm Sewer Sluice Gate for 2-Hour Fire Water Discharge Containment
- 1,600 SF High Hazard (H3) Space with 20-Minute Fire Water Containment
- Interior Tenant Spaces Include Processing, Stretch Wrapping, Relabeling, & Seed Sampling Areas